State Mileage Permits



There are a handful of states — Kentucky, Oregon, New Mexico and New York — that assess carriers with a “weight-distance” tax.
These state-specific weight-distance taxes are in addition to the heavy vehicle use tax (HVUT), IFTA, and IRP.
If you’re operating a truck in one of these states, we can help.


Kentucky Mileage Permits

If you’re operating motor vehicles interstate or intrastate in Kentucky with a combined license weight in excess of 59,999 pounds, you’re subject to Kentucky’s weight-distance (KYU) tax. What does that mean? It means you need to obtain a KYU license. Looking for a Kentucky trip permit, we can help!

Oregon Mileage Permit

Oregon’s mileage tax is assessed against all carriers, private and for-hire, operating both intrastate and interstate with vehicles having a combined weight over 26,000 pounds. If you’re subject to the tax, it’s paid based on your vehicle’s declared weight and the distance in which the vehicle travels in Oregon. The declared weight is the heaviest weight at which the vehicle will operate in Oregon. The vehicle’s registration weight may be higher than the declared weight, but the declared weight cannot be higher than the registration weight.

Note that if you’re transporting items including but not limited to logs, poles, wood chips, sawdust, sand, gravel, rock and dirt, you can pay the weight-distance tax on a flat monthly basis. Farm vehicles operating intrastate for-hire also have the option of paying a flat monthly tax. Looking for a Oregon trip permit, we can help!

New Mexico Mileage Permit

New Mexico assesses a weight-distance tax on motor vehicles with a declared gross vehicle weight (DGVW) over 26,000 pounds. If you’re operating on New Mexico highways, you must register, report and pay weight distance taxes quarterly, or be subject to the trip tax each time you enter or exit the state. The weight-distance tax is computed by multiplying the miles traveled in New Mexico by the applicable tax rate. Looking for a New Mexico fuel permit, we can help!

New York Permit

Click here to learn all about the New York Highway Use Tax (HUT) and our NY HUT permit service.

Frequently Asked Questions

Check out our Vehicle Size and Weights Guidelines Manual here.