If one of your vehicles is traveling interstate and isn’t registered under the International Registration Plan (IRP), you’ll need to order a temporary trip permit. 

A trip permit is needed if your vehicle is traveling out of state and any of these apply:

  • Your vehicle isn’t registered under IRP
  • Your vehicle has 3 or more axles
  • Your vehicle has a gross vehicle or registered weight over 26,000 lbs.
  • Your tow vehicle and trailer have a combined gross vehicle or registered weight over 26,000 lbs.



Frequently Asked Questions

The International Registration Plan (IRP) is an agreement among the United States, District of Columbia and provinces of Canada that recognizes the registration of commercial motor vehicles registered by other jurisdictions. This allows a qualifying commercial vehicle to travel through several jurisdictions with one license plate.

You’ll need:

  • US DOT and federal ID numbers
  • Legal company name and DBA (if applicable)
  • Billing address (if different)
  • Combined gross registered weight
  • License plate expiration date
  • Caller name and phone number
  • Fax or email to send permit to
  • Unit number
  • Year and make of vehicle
  • Complete VIN
  • License number and licensed state
  • Unit type (tractor, straight truck, etc.)
  • States you are ordering permit for
  • Date permit needs to be effective

Note that some states may ask for additional information.

Very fast! Our turnaround time is typically 1 -2 hours.

Yes. If you require a trip and fuel permit we will apply for a combo permit when available.